Giorgio Pelosi was born in Parma (Italy) on October 21, 1962.
He graduated with honors from the University of Parma in 1987 with a thesis titled “Structural researches on Bismuth complexes with polyfunctional ligands containing nitrogen, oxygen and sulphur”.
In 1988 he receives a bursary of CNR (Research National Council) to develop a software for the management of crystallographic data to carry out at CINECA (the largest Italian computing centre).
In 1992 he received his PhD degree from the same institution with a doctoral thesis titled “’Synthesis of heterocyclic derivatives and study of their coordinative interactions with metal centres”.
He subsequently was postdoctoral researcher at the Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics (LMB) of the University of Oxford (UK), in the group of prof. Louise Johnson and under the supervision of prof Janos Hajdu he worked on the project “Crystal structure determination of Isopenicillin N-Synthase”.
In 1991 he was appointed Researcher at the University of Parma.
In 1998 he won a national academic competition for associate professorship and became Associate Professor at the Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences of the University of Parma.
Presently his interest centres on the bioinorganic chemistry of thiosemicarbazone metal complexes and on the biological mechanisms in which they intervene, endowing them with antitumour and antiviral activities. In particular his expertise is in the structural characterization by single crystal X-ray diffraction, and in this context he has many ongoing collaborations both in Italy and abroad.
Prof. G. Pelosi is author of 108 papers published in the period 1989-2014. He is also author of more than 40 communications presented personally at national and international conferences.
His h index is 26 (Web of knowledge, 16/11/2012).
The scientific production hc is 16 and the number of normalized citations is 77.08 (Web of Knowledge, 16/11/2012: 1850 citations).
The normalized citation number is 84.29 taking into account of the best result between the two databases (Web of knowledge and Scopus) for each paper.
1998 PRIN (Projects of Relevant National Interest) prot. 9803021072_007 “Sintesi, caratterizzazione strutturale ed attività biologica di complessi metallici con leganti polifunzionali ”
2001 Fundings from Progetto Giovani Ricercatori e Ricercatori Singoli (Young Researchers and Single Researchers Project) at the University of Parma
2001 PRIN prot. 2001053898_007 “Preparazione di complessi metallici non cisplatino simili e correlazione tra struttura ed attività antiproliferativa e/o apoptotica su linee cellulari leucemiche”
2004 PRIN prot. 2004059078_004 “Sviluppo di potenziali farmaci a base metallica e approfondimento dei meccanismi d’azione su specifiche linee tumorali” *
2007 PRIN prot. 20078EWK9B_003 “Progettazione di complessi tiosemicarbazonici e triazolici di rame(II) e valutazione del meccanismo alla base dell’effetto citotossico apoptotico e non apoptotico”
2010 Fundings from Fondazione Cariparma “Sintesi ed identificazione dei bersagli cellulari di nuove molecole ad azione antitumorale” (Prof Pelosi was head of the chemical unit)
- Franco Bisceglie, Rossella Alinovi, Silvana Pinelli, Matteo Goldoni, Annamaria Buschini, Susanna Franzoni, Antonio Mutti, Pieralberto Tarasconi and Giorgio Pelosi “Ni(II) and Cu(II) N4-ethylmorpholine citronellalthiosemicarbazonate: a comparative analysis of cytotoxic effects in malignant human cancer cell lines” Metallomics, 2013, 5, 1510-1518
- Rodriguez-Arguelles, M. C., S. Mosquera-Vazquez, P. Touron-Touceda, J. Sanmartin-Matalobos, A. M. Garcia-Deibe, M. Belicchi-Ferrari, G. Pelosi, C. Pelizzi and F. Zani “Complexes of 2-thiophenecarbonyl and isonicotinoyl hydrazones of 3-(N-methyl)isatin. A study of their antimicrobial activity.” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2007, 101(1), 138-147
- Durot, S., C. Policar, F. Cisnetti, F. Lambert, J. P. Renault, G. Pelosi, G. Blain, H. Korri-Youssoufi and J. P. Mahy “Series of Mn complexes based on N-centered ligands and superoxide – Reactivity in an anhydrous medium and SOD-like activity in an aqueous medium correlated to M-II/Mn-III redox potentials.” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2005, 17, 3513-3523
- Buschini, A., S. Pinelli, C. Pellacani, F. Giordani, M. B. Ferrari, F. Bisceglie, M. Giannetto, G. Pelosi and P. Tarasconi “Synthesis, characterization and deepening in the comprehension of the biological action mechanisms of a new nickel complex with anti proliferative activity.” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2009, 103(5), 666-677.
- Durot, S., C. Policar, G. Pelosi, F. Bisceglie, T. Mallah and J. P. Mahy “Structural and magnetic properties of carboxylato-bridged manganese(II) complexes involving tetradentate ligands: Discrete complex and 1D polymers. Dependence of J on the nature of the carboxylato bridge.” Inorganic Chemistry 2003, 42(24), 8072-8080.