Born on January 10, 1962.
2001: Confirmed Researcher at Parma University, Department of Life Sciences
Her main research interests are: the study of the toxicological profile of drugs/phytochemicals; the design of new drugs and environmental genotoxicology.
One of the goal of her long-term projectsis to build up and validate screening systems able to detect different mutagenic events at the molecular level for a quantitative/qualitative evaluation of the “genetic hazard”. The key objectives of the still ongoing research projects are the characterization of human genes which contribute to individual responsiveness to drugs and the chemical environment.
In recent years, she started new collaborations to identify new therapeutic drugs for treatment of cancers and neglected diseases. She worked on the characterization of the structure-activity relationship of newly synthesized drugs on different kind of biological models, using also a pharmacogenetic approach. Her most recent research field is Chemo-protection: the prevention of cancer development through the use of chemical agents, drugs, or food supplements, in particular phytochemicals.
She is a member of the Italian Environmental Mutagen Society (SIMA), of the EEMS (European Environmental Mutagen Society), the Italian Genetic Association (AGI), of the inter-university research consortium on the metal chemistry in biological systems (C.I.R.C.M.S.B.) and of the inter-department Center for Molecular and Translational Oncology (C.O.M.T.).
She took part to the following international (DNDi); national (PRIN, ISPELS) and regional (PRIITT, SIQUAL, Moniter, Cariparma, IREN, Spinner) research programs:
- PRIN 2001-2002 – Formation of mutagens in drinking water distributed in the networks of some italian towns.
- ISPELS 2002 – In vitro models for neurotoxic hazard characterization.
- PRRIITT 2003 – Development of new diagnostic tests with a high biotechnological content for cancer diagnosis and prognosis in adults and children.
- PRRIITT 2004 – Genomic and biotechnological approach for the determination and characterization of physiological disorders, pathological conditions and allergy induced by food substances.
- PRIN 2004-2005 – Control of tumor proliferation, motility and invasion: pharmacological development of novel metal-based agents.
- PRRIITT 2005-2006 (Regione Emilia Romagna) – SIQUAL (Regional Laboratory for Food Safety and Quality) Project: “Food functional properties, nutritional quality modifications and xenobiotics production during cooking practices”.
- DNDi (Drugs for Neglected Disease initiative (2005-2007): “Novel Nitroheterocycles for the Treatment of African Trypanosomiasis”
- Moniter 2008-2009 (line 5 action2) “Assessment of genotoxic environmental impact of incinerators”;
- Cariparma Foundation (2010-2012): “Synthesis and identification of cellular targets of novel antiblastics”.
- IREN (2011-2012): “Assessment of water quality and requalification of Naviglio canal”
- Spinner (2011-2012) : As proponent of REX (Root exudate) Project, win a pre-competitive call of Spinner 2013 (Operative Program of Emilia-Romagna Region, Social European Fund 2007-2013).
She is author of 49 publications on international peer-reviewed journals.
List of the 5 most significant publications
- Ferrarini L, Pellegrini N, Mazzeo T, Miglio C, Galati S, Milano F, Rossi C, Buschini A. Anti-proliferative activity and chemoprotective effects towards DNA oxidative damage of fresh and cooked Brassicaceae. Br J Nutr. 2012; 107: 1324-1332.
- Bisceglie F, Pinelli S, Alinovi R, Tarasconi P, Buschini A, Mussi F, Mutti A, Pelosi G. Copper(II)thiosemicarbazonate molecular modifications modulate apoptotic and oxidative effects on U937 cell line. J. Inorg Biochem. 2012; 116: 195-203.
- Maffei F, Carbone F, Forti GC, Buschini A, Poli P, Rossi C, Marabini L, Radice S, Chiesara E, Hrelia P. Drinking water quality: an in vitro approach for the assessment of cytotoxic and genotoxic load in water sampled along distribution system. Environ Int. 2009; 35: 1053-61.
- Buschini A, Pinelli S, Pellacani C, Giordani F, Ferrari MB, Bisceglie F, Giannetto M, Pelosi G, Tarasconi P. Synthesis, characterization and deepening in the comprehension of the biological action mechanisms of a new nickel complex with antiproliferative activity. J. Inorg Biochem. 2009; 103: 666-77.
- Buschini A, Giordani F, Pellacani C, Rossi C, Poli P. Cytotoxic and genotoxic potential of drinking water: a comparison between two different concentration methods. Water Res. 2008;42:1999-2006.