Franco Bisceglie was born in Cremona (Italy) on August 14th, 1972. He graduated from the University of Parma in 1997 with a thesis titled “Synthesis of SNO coordinating systems owning a biological activity”. From the same institution he received his PhD degree with a doctoral thesis entitled “Preparative, spectral and structural studies of new metal complexes with polydentate ligands of medical applicative interest” in 2002. He also worked on a research project for the “Synthesis of Tripodal Ligands C-centred. Preparation, Characterization, Reaction with Superoxide of the Corresponding Fe(II) and Mn(II) Complexes and Biological Activity” at the Laboratoire de Chimie Bioorganique et Bioinorganique (LCBB) of the Institut de Chimie Moléculaire et des Matérieux d’Orsay (ICMMO) at Paris XI University in the group of prof. I. Morgenstern-Badarau. He was recipient of two fellowships advertised by the “Inter-university consortium for the study of metals in biological systems (C.I.R.C.M.S.B.) to perform research projects in the field of “Metal ions in human diagnostic and therapy” and “ New inorganic drugs in oncology”. He was also appointed for several projects for the research, synthesis and characterization of non-cisplatin like metal complexes as anti-tumor agents.
In 2004 he obtained cum laude a Master of Science in “Quality Control and Chemical Analysis Methods Validation” with a thesis entitled “Validation of an analytical method and experimental design for products in stability studies: two critical aspects in the drug research, improvement and revisions for processes optimization”, collaborating with Chiesi Farmaceutici in Parma.
From 2004 to 2005 he was Control Quality Manager at Luigi Bormioli SpA in Parma.
In 2005 Franco Bisceglie was appointed researcher at the University of Parma.
Presently his work centres on metallotherapeutics and on the chemistry and biological properties of thiosemicarbazone metal complexes, in particular with copper and metals of the first transition series. Recently his interest is focused on the interactions of metal complexes with molecules of biological relevance (nucleic acids, proteins, etc.)
He is author of more than 35 papers and more than 45 presentations to conferences.
List of the 5 most significant publications
- Garcia, Ludivine; Lazzaretti, Mirca; Diguet, Antoine; Mussi, Francesca; Bisceglie, Franco; Xie, Juan; Pelosi, Giorgio; Buschini, Annamaria; Baigl, Damien; Policar, Clotilde An intrinsically fluorescent glycoligand for direct imaging of ligand trafficking in artificial and living cell systems New Journal of Chemistry (2013),37(10), 3030-3034.
- Pelosi, Giorgio;Bisceglie, Franco; Bignami, Fabio; Ronzi, Paola; Schiavone, Pasqualina; Re, Maria Carla; Casoli, Claudio; Pilotti, Elisabetta Antiretroviral Activity of Thiosemicarbazone Metal Complexes Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (2010), 53(24), 8765-8769.
- Belicchi-Ferrari, Marisa; Bisceglie, Franco; Casoli, Claudio; Durot, Stephanie; Morgenstern-Badarau, Irene; Pelosi, Giorgio; Pilotti, Elisabetta; Pinelli, Silvana; Tarasconi, Pieralberto. Copper(II) and Cobalt(III) Pyridoxal Thiosemicarbazone Complexes with Nitroprusside as Counterion: Syntheses, Electronic Properties, and Antileukemic Activity. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (2005),48(5),1671-1675
- Rodriguez-Arguelles, Maria C.; Ferrari, Marisa Belicchi; Bisceglie, Franco; Pelizzi, Corrado; Pelosi, Giorgio; Pinelli, Silvana; Sassi, Monica Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of Ni, Cu and Zn complexes of isatin hydrazones Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry (2004), 98(2), 313-32
- Annamaria Buschini, Silvana Pinelli, Rossella Alinovi, Francesca Mussi, Franco Bisceglie, Claudio Rivetti, Nicola Doniselli and Giorgio Pelosi Unravelling mechanisms behind the biological activity of bis(S-citronellalthiosemicarbazonato) nickel(II) Metallomics, (2014), 6 (4), 783-792