Born in Alger (Algeria) on September 26th, 1950
Present position: Associate professor of Genetics, Department of Biosciences, University of Parma, Italy
Education and professional experiences:
1974 Graduated in Biological Sciences (five-year “laurea”) from the University of Parma, with marks 110/110 and laudem .
1974-1980 Researcher and Assistant Professor of Genetics
1980-2006 Research Assistant at University of Parma and lecturer of Molecular Genetics (1993-1997) and Plant Genetics from 1997.
2006-2009 Associate Professor of Plant Genetics and lecturer of Developmental Genetics and Genomics.
2010 Associate Professor of Genetics, Plant Genetics and Genetics of Microorganisms
Main research areas:
- Molecular physiology of nitrogen assimilation and carbon/nitrogen status in plants with particular focus on the genetics and on the molecular regulation of glutamate dehydrogenase isozymes.
- Food safety: containment of mycotoxin accumulation in feed and food. Molecular identification of aflatoxin producing fungi and designing bio-competition procedures
Total number of publications: 33
List of the 5 most significant publications
- F. Degola, E. Berni, C. Dall’Asta, E. Spotti, R. Marchelli, I. Ferrero and F.M. Restivo. A multiplex RT-PCR approach to detect aflatoxigenic strains of Aspergillus flavus. J. Appl Microbiol. 103(2):409-17 (2007). ISSN 1364-5072. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.03256.x
- F. Degola, E. Berni, E. Spotti, R, I. Ferrero and F.M. Restivo. Facing the problem of “false positives”: re-assessment and improvement of a multiplex RT-PCR procedure for the detection of A. flavus mycotoxin producers. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 129: 300–305 (2009) ISSN: 0168-1605. doi:10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2008.12.016
- E.Berni, F.Degola, C. Cacchioli, FM. Restivo and E. Spotti. Polyphasic approach for differentiating P. nordicum from P. verrucosum. Food Additives and Contaminants 28: 477-484 (2011) ISSN: 1464-5122; doi: 10.1080/19440049.2010.550065
- F. Degola, E. Berni, E. Spotti and F.M. Restivo. Laboratory tests for assessing atoxigenic Aspergillus flavus strains efficacy as biocontrol agents. Int. J.Food Microbiol 146: 235-243 (2011) ISSN: 0168-1605
- F.Degola, C. Dall’Asta and F.M Restivo. Development of a simple and high-throughput method for detecting aflatoxins production in culture media. Lett. Appl. Micriobiol. 55: 82-89 (2012) ISSN 0266-8254; doi:10.1111/j.1472-765X.2012.03264.x